Tableau Desktop Training - Analyst
2 day course, £695 per person (Plus VAT. Early bird and Group pricing also available.)
This 2 day Tableau Desktop training intermediate course is designed for the professional who has a solid foundation with Tableau and is looking to take it to the next level. Attendees should have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts of building Tableau worksheets and dashboards.
At the end of this course you will be able to communicate insights more effectively, enabling your organisation to make better decisions, quickly.
The Tableau Desktop Analyst training course is aimed at people who are used to working with MS Excel or other Business Intelligence tools and who have preferably been using Tableau already for basic reporting.
The course includes the following topics:
Recap on what I should already know
- Query Sequence
- Charts & Dashboard Revision
- Measure Values and Measure Names
What Ways Can I Connect To My Data?
- Building and editing re-usable Data Source Connections
- Introduction to the different Data Connection types
- How to join tables and the different join types
- Integrating data with cross-database Joins
- Combine data with different granularity - Data Blending
- How to blend data sources
- Appending rows from different tables using Unions
How Do I Create (Defined or Calculated) Subsets of my Data?
- How do I create, use and combine Sets?
- How do I show the Top X after applying a filter?
How Do Calculations Work And What Is LOD?
- Calculated fields vs Table Calculations
- How to create Calculated Fields
- Using Calculations as Join clauses for Tables
- Row level vs Aggregate Calculations
- Fixing "Cannot mix aggregate and non-aggregate" errors
- Changing the Level of Detail (LOD) of calculations - what, why and how
How Can I Define Table Calculations?
- What are Table Calculations?
- Scope and Direction of Table Calculations
- Using a Specific Dimension in a Table Calculation
- Statistical Analysis using Table Calculations
How Can I make Things Dynamic with Parameters?
- Where and how can I use Parameters?
- Combining Parameters with Reference Lines
- Combining Parameters and Filters
How Do I Create snapshots of my data with Data Extracts?
- Creating and running Data Extracts
How Do I Compare Progress between measures?
- Compare measures using a Bar-in-Bar Chart
- Compare progress towards a goal using a Bullet Graph
How Do I Customise Maps and Use Images?
- Map options
- Customising Map layers
- Correcting Geocode locations
- Using your own images for spatial analysis
- Using external files for mapping geometric boundaries
How Is My Data Distributed?
- Creating Bins and Histograms
- Creating a Box and Whisker Plot
How Can I See and Use Trends In My Data?
- How do I add Trend Lines to my data?
- How can I quickly analyse my data?
- How can I extend my data with a Forecast?
Improving Dashboards and Telling Data Stories
- Designing and building your dashboard
- Dashboard Best Practices
- Enabling users to ask questions
- Visual Best Practices
- Conveying data-driven Stories
This training course includes over 25 hands-on exercises to help participants "learn by doing" and to assist group discussions around real-life use cases. Each attendee receives an extensive training manual which covers the theory, practical applications and use cases, exercises and solutions together with a USB with all the materials required for the training.
The course starts at 09:30 on the first day and ends at 17:00. On the second day the course starts at 09:00 and ends at 17:00.
Students must bring their own laptop with an active version of Tableau Desktop 10.5 (or later) pre-installed.
Upcoming Analyst courses:
29 - 30 JAN 20
26 - 27 FEB 20
01 - 02 APR 20
Don't see a suitable schedule?
Email us if you are interested in an on-site course, or would be interested in different dates and locations:
What people are saying about this course:
"I would definitely recommend taking this course if you have a working knowledge of Tableau. Even the little tips Steve explains will make using Tableau a lot easier. Looking forward to putting what I've learned into practice." Aron F., Grove & Dean.
"Steve is an excellent teacher and has a vast knowledge of Tableau. I learned a huge amount over the two days that I can immediately apply at work." John B., Mporium.
"Steve not only provided a comprehensive explanation of the content of the course, but also allowed time for discussing particular business issues that participants may be facing. That was really useful as part of my learning process." Juan C., Financial Conduct Authority.
"Course was fantastic, and completely relevant to the work I am doing with Tableau. I particularly liked Steve's method of teaching and how he applied the course material to 'real-life' use-cases." Richard W., Dashboard Consulting Ltd.
"This course was extremely useful and excellent value. It helped me formalise my learning and I have taken a lot of useful tips away which will help me in everyday work." Lauren M., Baillie Gifford.
With over 25 years experience of turning data into actionable insights, Visual DJ delivers Tableau training to groups and individuals across the UK. Our Expert is a Tableau Qualified Associate who specialises in teaching Tableau skills to non-specialist professionals who are analysts, report writers or finance professionals. Learn more about Visual DJ.